dearest feifei, today is the day you never thought would come. you're now 25 even though you once uttered the words, "eew...you're 25? gross." you my dear, are even more fabulous now then you were then.
here are some reasons why i'm so glad you were born:
1. you gave up facebook for lent and it's been harder on me then you.
2. you had drinks with robin williams, saw santogold perform at a party, and attended a lecture featuring hilary clinton, diane von furstenberg, & iman,-all in one fabulous new york week.
3. you're my go-to person for literature advice. i've discovered some amazing books thanks to you.
4. you're one of the few chinese girls that can pull out her southern savannah-style accent whenever necessary.
5. you have excellent taste in music and we share an undying love for broken social scene, new pornos, spoon, feist, and phoenix.
6. you had the best college side job: bar mitzvah dancer. and you were great at it.
7. you blew out your car speakers because we were listening to the ying yang twins. totally worth it.
8. we met during a college work trip to the gulf coast and i'm pretty sure it was love at first sight.
9. we were early obama supporters, and you were one of the few people that knew he could make it.
10. your name is feifei.
Monday, March 28, 2011
Friday, March 25, 2011
The National Cherry Blossom Festival begins tomorrow and ends on April 10th in D.C.. I'm hoping to take a trip to D.C. during this "peak blooming" time. The cherry trees were given to our nation's capital in 1912, by the people of Japan.
Saturday, March 19, 2011
1. Party Store - The Dirtbombs
In Detroit, liquor stores are called "party stores" because they hold the contents to start your party. I love that The Dirtbombs pay tribute to Detroit's decaying party stores and to it's early techno music. Rolling Stone could not describe the music better: "Detroit's music has always driven across racial and genre boundaries. But when a longstanding garage-rock band with a black frontman loads its album with covers of Euro-inspired Motor City techno classics, galaxies implode." It's a crazy album, and it's fun to listen to.
2. Wounded Rhymes - Lykke Li
I saw Lykke Li perform at The Fillmore in San Francisco and it was one of my favorite concerts. She's an energetic performer with a unique voice AND she can cover Lil Wayne like no other Swed before her. I love her new album and I have the track "Get Some" on repeat.
I'm also looking forward to new albums by
Peter Bjorn And John (March 29), The Kills (April 5), TV On The Radio (April 12), Architecture In Helsinki (May 3), and of course, Lady Gaga (May 23)
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Friday, March 11, 2011
I had a lot of fun treasure hunting at an antique store here in Virginia last weekend. I managed to find some wonderful postcards from the great hand-shaped state of Michigan. The Flint postcard is from 1909 and the illustrated building cards are from the 1930s. I also picked up postcards from all over the place, so more to post later!